Indee-Go Healthy was originally formed in the fall of 2011 when a group of citizens gathered together in the attempts of becoming a “Blue Zone” community. Although Independence was not selected to become a Blue Zone, the members of the committee felt the goals of the committee were valuable. Indee-Go Healthy members chose to continue our work in reaching them, and making Independence a healthier community for its citizens. Many of our goals are centered on the Power 9 principles. In 2013 the City of Independence and our committee received the Iowans Fit for Life grant in the amount of $10,000.
Grant Funds were used in 2013-2014 to:
- Bring awareness to our community of healthier lifestyle options.
- Bicycle racks were purchased and placed throughout the city.
- Promote healthy cooking classes at Buchanan County Health Center.
- Promote the Independence Farmers Market & guest chefs.
- Purchase signs for the Bicycle Safe Route to School.
- Mail packets of information to all residents in the Independence Community School District regarding the bicycle safe route to school.
- Enhance the community gardens near Dairy Queen.
- Bicycle rodeo – 3rd grade students in Independence in partnership with Independence Community School District and local law enforcement.
- Green Thumb Camp (summer day camp) in partnership with Buchanan County ISU Extension & Outreach and Independence Community School District.
While the Iowans Fit for Life Grant is complete; Indee-Go Healthy continues to strive to achieve our mission: “To promote increased awareness and opportunities for physical activity and healthy eating to improve the overall health, happiness and well-being of the residents of Independence!”
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IndeeGoHealthy
For more information on Blue Zones: http://www.bluezones.com/